Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chapter 14: Dropping the Gloves & Spanish Inquisitions

I don’t know why I’m here. It won’t change anything. That last loss was not my fault. It wasn’t. I can’t help it if the day after break-up…did we break-up…it’s not like I could’ve prevented those goals from going behind Flower.

Melany toyed with the hem of her shirt. It was a white Crosby jersey. Then… She shook her head as she stepped inside the elevator with Vero and Michelle Cooke. They had convinced her that if Sid saw her tonight he’d realize his mistake. But did she want that? Oh who are you kidding, you’d jump him at center ice in front of this sold out crowd!

The night of the fight she’d stayed with Max. Nothing had happened between them. She just, didn’t want to be in the company of a couple that was so happy when she was feeling so miserable. Vero had pulled her aside to make sure she wasn’t going to do something stupid. And only later did she find out that Flower had threatened Max with a broken kneecap if he was anything less than a gentleman. But Max had been great. He’d picked out a movie and she’d fallen asleep on his shoulder. Then they’d gone to bed, in separate rooms, talking through the open doors for a while until she’d fallen into a restless sleep.

Opting not to go to a game where she wouldn’t be wanted by anyone… at least not who she wanted to be wanted by… she watched on Max’s TV. And every time Sid misplayed the puck or took a hit she cringed. Then he’d taken those two stupid penalties in the third period. He let his emotions roll over onto the ice, and for a moment she felt bad. Then FSN had panned up to a shot of his dad and the anger came back. More at Troy than Sid, but she was still peeved.

“Ok, we’re in a separate box from his dad, so you shouldn’t have anything to worry about,” Michelle pointed out as the elevator dinged. The doors opened and there stood Mr. Troy Crosby himself, along with his wife and a girl Mel recognized as Taylor from photos she’d seen. He looked up, surprise all over his face as he stared at her. Vero grabbed her arm and led her across the small hallway to their box, hoping to avoid any type of confrontation. His voice stopped them in their tracks.

“Miss… Miss Huston. I’d like to have a word with you please.” At least he doesn’t sound as condescending as he had the other day.

“Yes, Mr. Crosby?” She turned her head quickly, nodding at Sid’s mom. “Good evening Trina,” she said with a small smile. Melany watched him clear his throat and jerk his shirt collar like it was too tight, or he was too hot.

“I believe I owe you an apology.” Come again?!

“I’m sorry?”

“I was very rash in my judgment of you a couple days ago. I was since put in my place, and I hope that you can find it somewhere inside to give me a chance to start over. If not me though, at least Sid. He’s… he’s a wreck and I think it’s all my damn fault.”

“I believe you’d be correct in that assumption. Now, I’m going to tell you something, and I would appreciate it if you would not interrupt me until I’m finished. I’ll probably only have enough courage to say it once.” She took a deep breath before letting free her anger that had been building since that day.

“Frankly, I don’t give a rat’s ass if you like me or not. I’m not here to impress you or anyone else. I came tonight to watch a hockey game that could determine whether these jokers’ season ends tonight or if we have to take it to a seventh game. I think your son is amazingly talented, intelligent, handsome, and you were right before… he probably is too good for me. But I would like for he and I to have a chance to find that out before you tear us apart. Now, I’m going to into that box and watch warm-ups before the game starts. I’ll stay out of your way, and we shouldn’t have any problems. But know this… I don’t take kindly to being insulted by someone who didn’t even know my goddamn name! I’m guessing you’ve found out a few things about me from either Sid or your wife, and if you feel like you need to do your own Inquisition I’ll gladly talk to you, but only during intermissions. I don’t move once that puck drops, it’s my own little superstition. Enjoy your evening Mr. Crosby. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around.”

Melany turned around and willed herself not to run into the box, on her way she heard him whisper to his wife.

“She’s got spunk.” Trying not to smile as she heard him laughing lightly she pretended not to hear the compliment. She stepped into the box and went to the railing, looking down at the players skating around for warm-ups. Vero and Michelle were staring at her.

“What??”

“That. Was Amazing.” Mel looked at Vee, not sure if she would’ve used the word amazing. “I have never seen anyone stand up to Troy Crosby like that. And I’ve been here almost as long as Sid has, so I’ve seen the man many times. Are you ok?”

“I feel like I’m going to vomit.” The three of them laughed as they continued to watch the guys taking practice shots.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The first period had just ended and they were down by two goals. Sid looked around the locker room at his teammates. They were all feisty, he could tell. The vibe in the room was tense. No one wanted this to go to a seventh game. They wanted to end this here and now.

Coach talked with them about a couple things to work on, but he was surprisingly calm. Not that Disco ever really got angry anyway, but still. It was like he knew some secret. If he did, Sid was really hoping that he’d just tell them what it was already. He was still frustrated from after Melany stormed out. His game had showed that two nights ago. Everyone had seen him, he took two stupid penalties. That wasn’t like him at all.

He should’ve just called her. It wouldn’t have killed him to do that much would it? He didn’t want it to end this way… hell, he didn’t want it to end at all. Sid berated himself mentally. He didn’t even know if she had made it home ok! He turned to Max.

“So… ummm… did Melany make it home ok the other day?”

“She didn’t go home mon ami.”

“What?? You mean, she was still in Pittsburgh that day?!”

“She’s been at my place ever since you let her walk away.”

“What the fuck?! Max, I swear to god, if you touch her…”

“Hey! I’m not the one who let my dad insult her like that! Jesus Sid! And besides, for some crazy reason she wants you, so don’ worry… even if I wanted to give it a shot, the ol’ Talbot charm wouldn’t work on her.”

“Well, ok… I mean, I don’t even know if she’d give me another chance… is she still at your place then?”

“As far as I know. The question now, becomes ‘what are you going to do,’ Sid? Are you going to try and beg for forgiveness?”

“Damn straight! I’ll be over as soon as we get home!”

“Good. Now, let’s make it double the pleasure and end these jerk’s season tonight. Here. On their home turf!” Sid and Max fist-pumped and the guys around them yelled in agreement. They all got ready and walked back out onto the ice.

They started the period on the PP, but couldn’t capitalize. Not too concerned, the game switched ends over and over. Then as Carter went for a shot Sid brought his stick down and mentally cringed when he saw Jeff’s stick break. Shit. He heard the crowd cheering wildly as he went into the box. He risked a glance up to the box where he knew his dad would be sitting. His face was unreadable, but his mom was pointing to her right. Sid’s eyes shifted and then lit up. There, in the next box over, sat Melany. Sid tried not to show his happiness about her being here, and what it could mean. He watched as she held up her hands and made the slashing motion and then shook her head. Stop taking stupid penalties. He nodded once and then focused on the plays being made on the ice. Briere scored and he gritted his teeth as he stepped out of the box and skated over to his team.

“Ok guys, that one was all me. But it’s come to my attention that I need to stop doing that. And I’m going to try very hard.” He glanced at Max and then tilted his head toward the box. Max looked up and then back, a huge smile on his face.

“Alright boys, ees time to teach one of these goons a lesson. Sid, which one would you like me to go after?”

“Carcillo. He’ll fall for it easier than the rest.” Max nodded and looked at Bylsma.

“Put me in Coach.” Sid watched as their coach tried to hide his smile. He sent Max out with Geno and Duper, and ten seconds later they were all smacking hands and sticks against the boards as Max and Carcillo started throwing punches. It was clear that Max didn’t win and Carcillo was throwing his hands up begging the crowd for louder cheers. But Max had done his part to rile up the team and as he was being sent to the penalty box, he brought a hand up, shushing the crowd.

Play resumed, and Feds scored almost right off the faceoff. Two minutes after that Eats shot one past Biron, and toward the end of the period Sid batted one behind the goalie to tie it up. It was a completely different team that went into the locker room for that second intermission. And Sid knew that the momentum was in their favor, they just had to keep it that way.

*~*~*~*

Melany watched them skate off the ice and head toward the locker room. They had definitely earned their fifteen minute break. She was taking a drink of water when someone knocked on the doorframe. Turning, she saw Troy standing there.

“Mr. Crosby.”

“Miss Huston, Vero, Michelle.” He nodded to each of them and Mel seemed positive that he was nervous. Vee and Mickie excused themselves and she motioned for him to take a seat beside her.

“Well, where do you want to start the questions?”

“Nothing like cutting to the chase.”

“We have about fifteen minutes before they come back out.”

“How did you meet my son?”

“He almost hit me with his car while I was crossing the street.” He looked like he didn’t believe her so Melany told him the story of the day they met, and then the next day, leaving out the fun they had in Geno’s study, or later that night.

“And what do you do?”

“I’m a substitute teacher. I’m done for the year though.”

“And why is that?”

“Well, I’d like to be able to come to any of the games that I choose, and I’m getting ready to move out of my apartment, so it seemed easier to do all that if I wasn’t dealing with the crazed inner city students every day.”

“You’re moving? Where do you live now?”

“It’s a town in Ohio, near one of the bigger cities. But I’m planning on moving back to my mom’s for a while. Mainly until I’ve saved up enough money to get a place in the ‘Burgh. I’m hoping that while I’m living back at home, I’ll be able to sub there, and add to my degree so that I could get a full time teaching position.”

“What’s your degree right now?”

“History.”

“Ahhh, and do you have a certain era that you enjoy to study?”

“I’ve a very big fan of the Roman Empire. I’ve taken some special courses dealing with just that empire and its rulers, and went to Italy last summer for a ten-day tour. It’s been my favorite country to visit since I went there the first time.”

“So, you’re adventurous?”

“Very much so. I love going different places, traveling anywhere I can.”

They continued this made-up round of 20 Questions until the final period got ready to start. Melany told him about coming from a single-parent family, graduating near the top during both high school and college, the different places she’d traveled. He stood up to leave and held his hand out for her to shake.

“It was a pleasure to meet you this time Mr. Crosby.”

“Melany… please… please call me Troy.” She wanted to jump up to the rafters and shout with joy. “I’m sure I’ll see you downstairs after the game is over. I need to apologize to someone else as well.”

She just nodded and smiled as he left the box, heading over to his. The girls came back in and the settled for what would hopefully be the final period.

And it was. Twenty minutes later the guys were in the handshake line as the Penguins had, once again, knocked Philly out of the playoffs. Vero led the way down to the locker room and they waited there for the guys to shower and change. Cookey was the first one out, followed by Flower. He promised Melany that Sid was just being held up by reporters, but that he was trying to get away. A couple minutes later the door opened and a freshly showered Sid stepped in to the room. She held her breath as he walked over to her, standing no more than an inch from her body.

Then he grabbed a hold of her, and proceeded to kiss her amidst the cheers and yells of his teammates. She relished in the feel of his lips against hers. She whimpered as Sid gently pried his mouth away from hers. He ran his hand along her cheek and laid his forehead on hers.

“I’m sorry. I can’t take back what he said, I can’t take back the way I reacted, but I’m sorry.”

“I’m still kind of mad at you.”

“You should be.”

“As long as we both agree on that. Now, I believe your father would like to speak to you about something.”

“I don’t care what he has to say… I don’t know if I could speak to him right now without punching him.”

“Just hear him out, for me.” Melany knew that he needed to make sure his relationship with his dad was fine before they could be fine. She kissed his cheek and smiled at Troy as she walked past him and over to where Max was waiting to high five her for making up with Sid.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Sidney, I think we need to...”

“I’m only doing this because Melany asked me to.”

“She’s very unique, isn’t she?” What the hell?! Why isn’t he just berating me like usual?

“Uh… yeah, she is. How, how do you know that?”

“We spent some time talking during the second intermission. It was the only time she said I could come talk to her. Very feisty, that one.” Sid watched the smile that formed on his dad’s face. He couldn’t recall a single time in his life that his dad had smiled about a girl he’d been interested in. He surprised himself at the smile that he couldn’t stop and he clapped a hand on his dad’s shoulder.

“Are you drunk Dad? Or on some sort of medication??”

“I’m just listening to your mother’s advice again. And I’m glad I did. I still don’t think that this is the best time for you to start a relationship… no, let me finish.” Sid nodded for him to finish that thought. “I don’t think it’s the wisest move, but I’ll keep my mouth shut… I forget sometimes that I can’t control everything you do anymore. And I do look forward to learning more about this girl you’ve managed to find yourself.”

“That… thanks Dad. Just so you know, I was gonna try and get her back with or without your blessing, but this makes my groveling a little easier.” His dad grabbed him in a hug and then left with his mom and sister, both of them giving him two thumbs up and pointing toward Melany. He glanced over and saw her blushing and laughing as she caught their motions. Sid laughed too as he stepped over into her arms, whispering his idea now that the series was over and they had a couple days off before practicing for the semi-finals. She leaned into him, her arm warm around his waist.

“So, you think I’m just going to take you back like nothing happened?”

“No, I’m hoping you’ll just agree to come hash things out with me in a private suite, in a hotel here in Philly… with room service, a Do Not Disturb sign, and possibly a Jacuzzi.”

“Well, I do always feel more relaxed once I’ve taken a dip in one of those. Ok… you win.” Sid crushed her against his chest in a big bear hug. He was so happy that she was agreeing to talk things out with him. He had no expectations. Obviously he hoped that things were going to be okay, but he wasn’t going to jump to conclusions… no matter how much he wanted to peel his jersey off her right here in the middle of the room and ravish her supple body.

“Sid… your squeezing the life out of me…” He released her quickly. He hadn’t even realized how tightly he was holding onto her. “Thanks, I like being able to breathe normally,” she quipped with a smile.

Sid stepped away from her long enough to make sure that Coach knew what he was doing. Then he grabbed Melany and dragged her willingly out the door. As they passed Max, Flower and some of the guys he heard them offering tips on groveling and then sexing her up. He just laughed and kept pulling her out the door. They hopped in a cab and Sid had the man take them downtown to the Four Seasons.

They were almost there when Sid turned and looked at Melany thoughtfully. He grabbed her hand and held it to his chest. The other came up to cup her cheek. He took a deep breath, but knew he needed to get this out now.

“You know this will cause a media stir. By morning they’ll be camped outside the hotel. There’s probably already some who are curious because of what they saw in the locker room. I need to know now, can you handle this?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never been in this type of situation before. Do you think I can?”

“I think it’s going to be difficult. On both of us. But yes, I think you’re tough enough. Some of them will critique every move you make from now on. The sleazier ones may try to dig into your past. So, once we get in there, we need to… talk about some things… ok?”

“M’kay.” He saw the frown that creased her brow. “I think I wanna be like Erin. No one knows about her and Geno.”

“But they’re comfortable not showing off. I don’t think I can keep my damn hands off of you, even in public.”

“Then we’ll talk, because I gotta admit… I like your hands on me,” she whispered the last part into his ear and Sid groaned. He suppressed the urge to accommodate her, run his hands all over her. He didn’t want to fuel any of the fires that would be starting.

They got to the front desk and Sid requested an Executive Suite on the highest floor, indefinitely. He knew they would probably be there a maximum of three nights, but the less info he gave now, the less the press would find out. He smiled at the concierge and took his credit card back. After the man handed him two room cards Sid signed his name on the open-ended bill, took Mel’s hand and led her over to the elevator.

“I want nothing more than to take you in my arms,” he whispered to her as the doors shut. “But I need to try and contain myself until we’re behind our locked door.”

“I’ll keep you in line Crosby,” she told him with a smile. He didn’t know how he made it, but he did. They stepped onto their floor and practically ran to their room. He slid the key into the slot, opened the door and pushed her inside. Before it shut again he took the Do Not Disturb sign and hung it on the outside handle.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome I'm so glad they are making up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw yay (:
    hahah i loved how you added the shhhh part in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see them working things out!! Nice to see that his dad apologized to her and got to know her a little bit! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeaaa! I like that they made up and she bitched out Troy. I can't see this being the end of her tormenting him for not doing anything though.

    So excited to hear about the hotel? I think so.

    Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ughhh i wanna know what happens NOW!!! great update! wonderful to hear they're gettin back together!! and great that the updates are closer together!!
    add new chapter soon!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that she decided to try to work things about with Sid, they need to be together, okay?

    I'm glad that things are okay with Mel and Troy, things better stay that way, okay?

    Anyway, I can't wait for more! Love you.

    ReplyDelete